In trying to keep up with all our obligations in our daily lives, we end up making food choices that may be quick and satisfying, but are actually unhealthy. Trying to fulfil these commitments also give us little time to lead active lives, resulting in individuals who are becoming overweight and obese.
What is overweight and obesity?
Overweight and obesity is ranked as one of the leading risks for deaths worldwide. According to data from the World Health Organization (WHO), around 2.8 million adults die each year from obesity or overweight. It is also projected that this number will increase in the coming years. These conditions are not just an issue of appearance. Being overweight and obese puts individuals at greater risk for heart disease, high blood cholesterol and type-2 diabetes. Given these issues, there is an urgent need to take steps towards healthy weight management.
How to lose weight
Each day, we are bombarded with more and more weight loss solutions, from fad diets to weight loss pills, to overnight creams and miracle treatments. These solutions may produce results, but they may not be as effective in the long run. To lose weight the healthy way, you have to start by planning your weight management program and making smart decisions.
What is a weight management program?
A proper weight management program helps an individual lose weight through the integration of diet and exercise, and in some cases, counselling and lifestyle coaching. Depending on the case, body sculpting procedures may be called for.
No two weight management programs are alike. Programs differ from one person to another depending on their current needs and conditions. However, there are certain guidelines you can follow, whatever your weight loss journey entails:
· Weight loss does not happen overnight. It is not about starting a new fad diet or taking slimming pills. Healthy weight loss means committing to making changes in your lifestyle as a whole.
· Know your motivation. Take time to identify what your primary goal is. Instead of trying to lose weight to look good in a bikini, go for more sustainable, long-term goals. Do you want to feel more confident? Are you losing weight to live a longer life for your family? Whatever your motivation may be, always have one in mind as this keeps you motivated on your weight loss journey.
· Set realistic goals. Again, keep in mind that weight loss is not an overnight thing. Pushing yourself to lose weight too quickly can do your body more harm than good. Set short term goals like losing 1 or 2 pounds per week. If you're not sure which rate works best for you, seek the help of your doctor.
· Seek help from your support system. The road to healthy weight loss is never easy. Having the support of your family and friends really helps a lot. When you want to share your little milestones or if you feel unmotivated at certain points, seeking encouragement from your support system help you stay on track.
· Keep track of your progress. Start a journal and take note of how you're doing. Also, keeping track of your progress in black and white helps you stay motivated. Take note of your measurements, diet changes, exercise routines, etc. to help you adjust your program if needed. There are also online tools like diet journals and BMI trackers you can use to keep tabs on how well you're doing.